Sunday, December 18, 2011
For Sunday, December 18th, 2011
ON THE BRIGHT SIDE
DECEMBER 18th, 2011
CHRISTMAS BIRD COUNT WEEK BEGINS
December 14th marked the beginning of Audubon's annual Christmas Bird Count. The Count runs through January 5, 2012. The first Christmas Bird Count took place on December 25, 1900 when 27 participants counted and identified about 18,500 birds, mostly in the northeastern U.S. Today, volunteers brave snow and chilly temperatures to identify and count birds throughout the 50 states and in Canada. Last year, over 2200 counts were completed and 61 million birds were reported.
While I do not participate in the official Bird Count, I do love to watch the birds. Around here we have seen the first snow birds of the season. I try to keep my suet cake feeder filled and have also put out a block that said it was Woodpecker treat but our neighborhood squirrel seems to be enjoying it more than the woodpeckers.
Bake Cookies Day occurs in the middle of the holiday season, and is a great excuse to bake some delicious cookies to help you get through the cold, winter days!
BAKE COOKIES DAY
Original M&M Cookies Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter or shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups M&Ms - reserve 1/2 cup for decorating
- Position one of your oven racks in the middle of your oven and preheat your oven to 375F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper for best results. Otherwise, use ungreased cookie sheets.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda until well blended. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter (or shortening) and sugars with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (This will take several minutes). Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to make sure everything is well blended.
- Beat in the eggs and vanilla until creamy.Stir in flour mixture with a wooden spoon just until blended. Stir in 1 1/2 cups M&Ms. Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets. Press several additional M&Ms into each cookie.
- Bake one cookie sheet at a time in the middle rack of the oven for 9 to 12 minutes or until the cookies are golden brown around the edges and just set in the center. Remove from the oven and transfer the cookies with a thin metal spatula to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Makes about 5 dozen cookies
PRAYER FOR OUR TROOPS
The holiday season,
Please pray for God's protection of
our troops and HIS wisdom for their
Lord, hold our troops in
your loving hands.
Protect them as they protect us.
Bless them and their families for the
selfless acts they perform for us
in our time of need. I ask this in the
name of Jesus, our Lord and Savior.
AND bless our Police Officers, Firefighters
and Paramedics and EMT's
GOD BLESS YOU!
We had snow on the ground for our family Christmas yesterday but for the most part the roads were clear, just a few slippery spots around.
I took a lot of pictures and will be sharing them in the coming week. It was, as always, great to be with family.
Although it may seem cold,
Sends feelings of warmth
To hearts both young and old.
I know it may sound strange,But there must be something in the air,
Because the joy of Christmas
Can be found everywhere!
Good tidings abound,
People sing in the streets,
Families gather together
And share all kinds of treats!
It may seem kind of magical,
But it's with us all the time;
It only takes a little love
To make a heart truly shine.
COUNTING THE DAYS
Give yourself a perfect day. Do what makes you happiest. Look upon what gives you joy. Speak to those who warm your heart. Listen to that which lifts your spirit. Surround yourself with sights and sounds and people who give you pleasure. For all the happiness you give to others all year long, give yourself a perfect day.
3 DAYS UNTIL WINTER
6 DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS
Keep looking ON THE BRIGHT SIDE of things.
A little smile, a word of cheer,
A bit of love from someone near…
A bit of love from someone near…