Wednesday, July 14, 2010
For Wednesday, July 14th, 2010
Do not buy canned or jarred sauerkraut; opt for the fresh kraut in bags, found in the deli section. Serve these ribs with mashed or boiled parsley potatoes, cranberry sauce and some creamy horseradish.
Slow-cooker size: Large round or oval.
Setting and cook time: Low for 8 to 9 hours.
2 to 3 pounds country-style pork ribs
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 medium white onions, sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 medium tart cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 pounds fresh sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
1/2 cup apple juice or dry white wine
1/4 cup beef or vegetable broth
Grease the bottom of the slow cooker with some butter or oil. Season ribs with salt and pepper. Layer in onions, apples, ribs and sauerkraut. Sprinkle with caraway seeds and pour over the juice and broth. Cover and cook on low until tender and meat starts to separate from bone, 8 to 9 hours. Serve immediately.
1. Slow down; God is still in heaven. You are not responsible for doing it all yourself, right now.
2. Remember a happy, peaceful time in your past. Rest there. Each moment has richness that takes a lifetime to savor.
3. Set your own pace. When someone is pushing you, it's OK to tell them they're pushing.
4. Take nothing for granted: watch water flow, the corn grow, the leaves blow, your neighbor mow.
5. Taste your food. God gives it to delight as well as to nourish.
6. Notice the sun and the moon as they rise and set. They are remarkable for their steady pattern of movement, not their speed.
7. Quit planning how you're going to use what you know, learn, or possess. God's gifts just are; be grateful and their purpose will be clear.
8. When you talk with someone, don't think about what you'll say next. Thoughts will spring up naturally if you let them.
9. Talk and play with children. It will bring out the unhurried little person inside you.
10. Create a place in your home...at your work...in your heart...where you can go for quiet and recollection. You deserve it.
11. Allow yourself time to be lazy and unproductive. Rest isn't luxury; it's a necessity.
12. Listen to the wind blow. It carries a message of yesterday and tomorrow - and now. NOW counts.
Never let yesterday use up too much of today
71 DAYS UNTIL FALL
A bit of love from someone near…